Why You Need Automated Optical Inspection for Your PCB Assembly
What is Automated Optical Inspection?
Advantages of Automated Optical Inspection
- AOI uses infrared, LED, ultraviolet, and fluorescent illumination to detect problems in real-time during the manufacturing process.
- AOI is extremely flexible as it can be used throughout any stage of the production process, and it can be carried multiple times if necessary.
- Identify problems during the early stages of the manufacturing process can drastically reduce costs and time, as opposed to finding out during the final stages of production.
- As production volumes increase, it can detect surface defects such as missing component, skew, shift, tilts, wrong orientation and co-planarity more efficiently compared to manual inspections which are more susceptible to errors.
- You can set a standard to which you want the PCBs to match, and the algorithm will test if the PCBs are matching the requirements which you have set for quality assurance, as well as improving the overall manufacturing process speed.
Disadvantages of Automated Optical Inspection
- AOI pass rate results are not absolute. Just because a manufactured product has a high pass rate, it does not guarantee the performance of the product itself.
- In contrast, a low pass rate may not accurately reflect a product’s build quality. The pass rate score can be influenced by the standard in which the EMS provider has set in place. This means that if your EMS provider has set a very high standard for the final product, it can make it more difficult to achieve a high pass rate.
- It is also important to note that AOI only examines for what it is asked to, this means that if the criteria to be examined are not set properly, it can lead to potential flaws going unnoticed.
Improve Your PCB Assembly Process with Automated Optical Inspection
If you are looking for a provider that can produce high-quality boards at high volumes without compromise, we have the solution for you! At ECI Technology, we employ the use of Automated Optical Inspection in our PCBs assembly to provide high-quality and reliable products to meet the need of your business.